[BC] Gates BC-1F

Tom misc01
Mon May 23 08:31:17 CDT 2005

I've enjoyed reading the comments about the Gates BC-1F.  It
was the transmitter at WKVA 920 when I worked there in the
mid sixties.

Every six months or so the fifteen hundred volt transformer
that provided voltage for the 813 and 845s would short.  We
kept a spare and would have the shorted one wound by a local
motor and transformer shop and then it would become the
spare.  Don't think they ever figured out why this was
happening.  I suggested it might be the shop doing the
winding but I never got very far with that argument.  Wonder
if anyone else ever had this problem?

I think the only other problem that occurred with that
transmitter was that the RF choke in the plate circuit of the
833s shorted.  We got one from a local ham and used it with
reduced power till a replacement could be obtained from Gates.

When the station got authorization to go on at night with
five hundred watts I was really surprised that to reduce
power Gates provided a big resister to put in the plate
circuit of the 833s.  It seemed to me that a variac would
have been a more practical way to reduce power but I was very
young and, well, you know how young people are treated
sometimes.  I think when a question was asked it was taken as
questioning a decision but my questions were asked because I
wanted to learn.

I did understand about modulator impedance but it seemed that
if the voltage and current were reduced proportionally on the
modulator tubes the impedance would stay the same.

After that job I got out of broadcasting and spent the next
thirty plus years in computer programming but still love radio.

Tom Dimeo