[BC] Inexpensive exciter

markc markc
Sun May 22 21:05:45 CDT 2005

---------- Original Message -----------
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc at sonic.net>
Sent: Sun, 22 May 2005 09:54:22 -0700
Subject: Re: [BC] Inexpensive exciter

> I would look for a used QEI 675 or 695.  They're reliable, sound
> good and run 20 watts out.  They're also pretty cheap on the used market.
>
> Also, PTEK sells a 5-30 watt  for $1,200.  Check
> http://www.ptekpower.com/new_page_2.htm .  I've never used one, so
> I can't speak from experience about them.
>
> Ron Castro
> Chief Technical Officer
> Results Radio, LLC

IMO the QEI exciters don't have good enough modulation control for today's
processing.

I just retired a 695 in favor of an FX-50, and the difference in modulation
control and what we can run on the low end is amazing.

The 695 was a fine exciter for its day, but its day as a main is probably over.

Mark
MN