[BC] State licensing

Mario Hieb, P.E. mario
Sun May 22 19:26:52 CDT 2005

Actually, you can't practise "consulting engineering" in most states,
unless you have a P.E. license. That's why I got mine.

As far as needing 50 licenses, that would only be if you worked in every
state. Other states have comity programs that make working in other states
easier.

I can find a hundred flaws in professional engineering (or other
professions) statutes, but they seem to work pretty good for the
professional and the public.

Again, I don't think the P.E. license is the best one for broadcast
engineers. Something more like the old First Phone.

Mario

At 11:02 PM 5/21/2005, you wrote:
> > 6. Licensed professionals make more money than unlicensed ones.
>
>  Ya think ?
>  I know what I made last year.
>  I doubt a license would help any.
>
> > I was a typical broadcast engineer (earning squat) for many years, and
> then
> > I got my P.E. license; a state license. Since then, I earn significantly
> > more money because I now do work that requires a license.
>
>  Likely, in your home state alone.
>  =I= ( and others like me ) almost never get a chance to work in my home
> state.
>
>  Largely, I would personally oppose this thought, because it would put
>  nearly all broadcast consulting engineers out of buisness, and we would be
>  replaced by "licensed" but far less experienced and uninformed individuals.

Mario Hieb, P.E.
Consulting Engineer

36 H St. #2
Salt Lake City, UT 84103