[BC] NFL pleading poverty

Mario Hieb, P.E. mario
Sun May 22 18:58:06 CDT 2005

Event frequency coordination is different than local frequency
coordination. The local stations are known by the FCC as "incumbents." When
an event comes to town and uses a large number of frequencies, the event is
liable for any interference. By the way, most local coordinators are paid
appropriately by their employer, the local stations.

So let's say the Super Bowl comes to your city. Does the local station
(incumbent) pay for coordination (no)? Does the TV rightsholding network
pay (no)? Does the NFL pay (no)? In my opinion, the NFL and the TV
rightsholder should pay; they are the ones using the spectrum and causing
the interference. This is how we do it in the Olympics with great success.

I can't say yes or no about my doing frequency coordination for the NFL;
it's sort of impractical because I live far from an NFL team. I have heard
of individuals who were paid by NFL, until SBE squeezed them out. The
point, however, is moot because the NFL would never pay me for something
they get for free.

It's really a matter of principle. As professionals, we should stand up for
each other when it comes to appropriate compensation. If your boss called
me up and said, "Ron Castro is making too much money. I'd like to fire him
and hire you," my reply (as a professional) should and would be: "I'm sure
that Ron is worth far more than you what you pay him. You should be lucky
you have him"

SBE claims that, although NFL values what SBE does for it, it can't afford
to pay them appropriately. If I were SBE, I would say, "Sorry, but we are
professionals, and we don't give away our services."

By the way, the NFL-network TV deal for the years 1998 to 2005 was $17.6
billion (L.A. Times), that's about $2.5 billion a year. And SBE president
Ray Benedict says they don't have any money for frequency coordination.

My beef with the NFL is they have the nerve to ask SBE to subsidize their
multi-billion dollar empire. My beef with SBE is that they believe that
"NFL is poor" and that engineers should volunteer their professional services.

Mario

At 11:02 PM 5/21/2005, you wrote:
>Message: 5
>Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 10:36:49 -0700
>From: "Ron Castro" <ronc at sonic.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] GDC's
>
>How is this any different than when the SBE did frequency coordination for
>individual "for-profit" radio and TV stations?  And what's your beef with
>the NFL?  It seems you have a real hot-button about that.  Is it because
>you're trying to sell those same services to the NFL?
>
>Ron Castro
>Chief Technical Officer
>Results Radio, LLC

Mario Hieb, P.E.