[BC] Inexpensive exciter

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Sun May 22 16:13:37 CDT 2005

Usually when I see them pop in an 802 exciter it is for one of two reasons,
1 The transistor has a heat sinking problem
	Dried out sil grease
	Screws are loose
	Fan died
2 An Amp problem.
	Bad PA transistor drawing too much current and overheating.

One test to do is to drop an AMP meter into the PA deck power.
then start at low power and slow adjust to full power. Doing this you
should see a steady increase in current draw with power increase. If you
hit a point where the current increases and the power holds steady or
even drops, then you have confirmed a bad power amp. This problem will
most likely be the ever elusive final PA trannie.

khcs at juno.com wrote:
> The idea to pad down the output is a sensible one, and cheaper than even a second-hand QEI 675.  But, I would try to find out what is making those transistors pop,  I have found the 802A to be a very nice exciter and have not experienced any problems with them.
>

> Glen Kippel
> KHCS
> Palm Desert, CA

Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT