[BC] Suprise Studios

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Sun May 22 02:01:31 CDT 2005

I'm taking a short break for a studio I'm building to type this. This has been an interesting job, I
got notified by a client that they wanted to move their studios this week, last week. The best part
is they ordered all the equipment and it would be ready for me Monday. Come Monday the console had
arrived, but nothing else. The console is a Audio arts D-75 Which seems to be a very nice console.
I got the book on it Monday and headed back to the shop to make up a harness for it. They had some
belden 24 pr snake cable in the building so I used that. I had to order some punch blocks because I
was out at the shop, Next day air from Harris. You just don't realize how long it takes to make up a
harness until you start doing it. I made up the harness for audio only, but still that's a whole
bunch of crimp connections you have to make, 234, but who's counting. Finally after pain staking
measurement to make it all pretty and lay out nice you get the console end done.. But where are the
punch blocks (Wed Night)?? A call to Harris confirms they were delivered but do to some
miscommunication they went to an address you weren't expecting them to go. So you have to go run
them down Thurs. Thursday night those same 234 connections have to be punched down. By 6 AM Friday
morning with 12 cables left to go you can't stand to even look at a punch block. It's not friday
afternoon the move is scheduled (by the client) for 7 PM.. eeks go to the shop punch the last 12
pr's and make ups some aux cables and go to the site. Arrive at 6 PM and figure out nothing is going
to be easy about getting the program feed out. Give up lay a cable down the hallway to the Telco
STL. Ohh originally the client had said they would run off a computer for the entire weekend. well
the game has changed. the studio goes live at 6 AM. Well it did and it worked but darn was I tired.
The studios still not complete. the cables aren't all dressed in yet but it's working. The switch to
the new studio was made at 7 PM as planned even though it was through the automation computer fed
directly to the STL. The Console powered up at 3 AM and the feed switched over to the new studio at
4 AM. I've still got plenty to do but it's beginning to look like a real radio studio..