[BC] State Licensing

PeterH5322@aol.com PeterH5322
Sat May 21 17:17:35 CDT 2005

>Not only would there be 50 different sets of rules, but you might need to go
>through certification every time you wanted to do work in a different state
>if the states don't have reciprocal agreements.  It's that way now in some
>jurisdictions for PE's.  When we put up a tower in Sonoma County, we need a
>California-certified PE analysis.  No other states PE's are accepted.

Easy to understand as the jurisdiction responsible for public safety is a
state one, not a federal one.

As California's requirements for licensure ... of most professionals, not
just SEs ... tends to be stricter than most other states, it is not
surprising that a Nevada SE license wouldn't be acceptable in California.
(In California, an SE is usually a CE/SE ... licensed firstly as a CE,
and secondly as an SE, after an additional internship under an SE).

However, for federally administered situations, say, an application for a
broadcast license, a PE from any state is acceptable.