[BC] 807 & audio

Clive Warner clive
Sat May 21 13:16:39 CDT 2005

>the 6BG6 IS an 807.  Virtually
>no difference in them.

>Have you actually built an audio amp with either of
>them?   Try it!   You'll hear what I'm saying in an
>instant.  Inherent (dynamic) intermod of 10-20%.

** Yes! I once built a guitar amp with a pair of 807's in push pull.
I decided to use fixed bias rather than the usual cathode resistors. Being
able to vary the grid bias allowed me to extract a variety of sounds from
it, because I could set the bias anywhere from class AB1 to class C. (Class
C makes great fuzz guitar)
Even in class AB1 it sounded pretty rough on music.
And then one day I touched the anode cap on one of the 807's, not worrying
about the 600V DC because I was sitting on a nylon carpet on a wooden floor.
But the self-capacitance of my body caused it to 'take off' at RF and I drew
an arc that followed my fingertip as I pulled it away . . . a horrible RF
burn.
That was the first and last time I ever considered using an 807 for audio.
- Clive.