[BC] bronze vs silver

Clive Warner clive
Sat May 21 01:20:55 CDT 2005

Seems once again that techniques used in the USA differ completely from
those used internationally. By 'internationally' I include US teams like
Harris Corp., if you take a look at their Nigeria installs, for instance,
you will probably find heavy strap used for the earth. I generally found
that teams from Marconi, Incomtel, Siemens, Crown Agents, Harris, the BBC,
all had very similar standards in earthing practices and so forth, whereas
it was the transmitters that were idiosyncratic.

Lightweight ribbon, in my experience, has always been common in RF circuits
at HF (not MF) because the large surface area plus 'skin effect' gives low
impedance.
Of course, for higher powers, you want to do a proper job, i.e. plating the
mast base in 22 swg soft copper sheet.
My most common job would be silver soldering one-inch or wider, one-eighth
copper strap, on to galvanised steel angle. My practice is to drill a
quarter-inch hole in the strap and solder through it until the flux runs
clear and the hole is filled to the top. Then I test it and apply two coats
of bitumen.
If you're operating in Afghanistan, of course, thermite is the best choice.
. .
Clive