[BC] Re: Call-letter curiosities

Scott Fybush scott
Fri May 20 21:32:22 CDT 2005

>On Friday 20 May 2005 10:16, Dan Strassberg wrote:
> > BTW, does anyone have a comprehensive list of three-letter calls
> > currently in use in the US and Canada? WOW (arguably, the best of all
> > three-letter calls) is no longer on AM 590 in Omaha, but is it in use
> > anywhere? And is WHA the three-letter call sign that has been in the
> > longest continuous use on the same US station?

Based on the Thomas White list at oldradio.com, the WHA calls weren't
licensed until 1/13/22, though the station has a much longer history as
9XM, of course. The oldest extant station that was initially assigned a
3-letter callsign is WABC, ex-WJZ, licensed May 1921. And the oldest
unchanged three-letter call is none other than WBZ, licensed 9/15/21 and on
the air four days later.

(I like the "licensed on" date, though...since 82 years later it would
become my daughter's birthday, too :-)