[BC] Bauer/Sparta 603/Paul Gregg response

Jared Seese jared
Fri May 20 12:17:44 CDT 2005

 Mr. Paul Greg
After seeing all the replies about Elcom Bauer and Sparta and then a
reply from you I thought that you might like to know that Bill
Overhauser just moved back to the Sacramento area. Gary Maggiore and I
went to lunch with Myra Cowen and Bill. We had a nice conversation about
the old days and the 50 years of Chanel 10 (KBET) and where are people
like you, Pete Onnigian, my dad Larry Seese and so on. Any way I thought
you might like to know.

Jared Seese
Senior Field Engineer
JAMPRO Antennas/RF Systems

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Mike Holderfield
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 8:42 AM
To: Broadcast Radio Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] Bauer/Sparta 603/Paul Gregg response

Hello Mike --

I saw your postings about the 603 - 605.  Your description is right on
--
particularly the reference to the ARRL
handbook. Work on the 603 started on the mid-sixties before Eimac had
introduced the 5CX1500. Bauer
was located about a mile south of Eimac and a couple of Eimac engineers
(both hams, of course) helped
in the design of that transmitter. This was before they had their own
"black
box" department. This series
of transmitters introduced the 5CX1500 -- followed shortly by the 602 --
the
first 2500 watt transmitter.
We called the 3KW version the 603 and the 5KW version the 603A5 and it
was
built during the days when
Bauer was a part of Granger Associates and in the early 70's as part of
Sparta. The 5KW version of the
transmitter found some interesting homes -- it was the first stereo
signal
in Rome broadcasting Jazz from
the Vatican. In about 1973 we turned to the 3CX3000 and subsequent
models
used that tube -- the 602,
however, continued up through the 80's until we closed the Sacramento
plant.
We had a good experience
with the 5CX1500 until Eimac ran into ceramic problems. Once they solved

that -- and even introduced a
B version before they found the real problem it was OK until they
changed
the plating process which created
a socket  problem with the suppressor grid. The tube got a bad name
during
this period. There are still a lot
of 602's out there using either the A or B version of the tube. They
tune
differently but there charts in the
book to cover that.

The Bauer-Eimac connection also created the 1KW 607 using the 3-400Z and

later the 3-500Z -- another
transmitter with the Ham look. Fritz Bauer worked with both Eimac and
Electro Engineering (modulation
transformer and 12 pulse power supply) to develop the first high level
plate
modulated transmitter using the
4CX5000A (The FB-5000J).

Hope this info is useful to you -- I will send a copy to Barry.

Best regards,

Paul Gregg