[BC] Re: Call-letter curiosities

Scott Fybush scott
Fri May 20 11:27:00 CDT 2005

At 10:16 AM 5/20/2005 -0400, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>And don't forget WHN. Years after Loew's, which owned WHN, dropped the call
>sign in favor of WMGM, the station was purchased by Storer, which reclaimed
>the WHN calls. Was that not the first instance of three-letter calls being
>resurrected after being unused for an extended period?

WJZ (1957), KUT (1958) and KRE (1960) preceded WHN (1962).

>BTW, does anyone have a comprehensive list of three-letter calls currently
>in use in the US and Canada? WOW (arguably, the best of all three-letter
>calls) is no longer on AM 590 in Omaha, but is it in use anywhere? And is
>WHA the three-letter call sign that has been in the longest continuous use
>on the same US station? WHA used to use the positioner "The oldest station
>in the nation." I assume that now even Wisconsin Public Radio doesn't like
>to be associated with oldest anything.

 From the conversation I had with WPR's Allen Rieland at the public radio
reception at NAB, they're still quite proud of their heritage there, which
is a good thing.

WOW is no longer in use anywhere.

And the full list of three-letter calls, past and present, is updated as of
1/1/2005 at Thomas White's excellent site,
http://earlyradiohistory.us/3myst.htm)