[BC] State Licensing

Mario Hieb, P.E. mario
Fri May 20 10:53:31 CDT 2005

It has less to do with the FCC and more to do with what other professional
societies are doing.

There are people out there who don't want you to use the title "engineer"
unless you are licensed. Their argument is that there are life, safety and
property issues at stake, and they have a point. These groups are large,
powerful, well-funded and well-connected. SBE could easily get squeezed out
of business, unless it gets proactive.

State licensing would be messy, yes, but may be the best way (and possibly
the only way) to keep broadcast engineers in business.

Yes, the FCC could get involved, but in my experience, they want less work
rather than more, and won't.

Mario

>are
>What difference does it make if states choose to "license" broadcast
>engineers? The FCC has ruled the licensee is solely responsible for
>determining the technical qualifications of those to whom they
>delegate their responsibility for technical compliance with the
>rules. Never forget that the licensee is held responsible for all
>violations.
>
>In the old days when the FCC determined who could technically
>operate a station by granting licenses, they also regulated those
>who were licensed and could sanction fines against them.
>
>The Act of 1934 clearly makes the FCC solely responsible for
>governance of stations, and the FCC has made their determination
>of the method of qualification (as above). Unless someone first
>modifies these rules (over the NAB's dead body) nothing can change
>regardless of what some state may think it wants to do.
>
>The only thing a state might do is collect a "license" fee from
>each of us and that would open a rather large can of worms.
>
>IMHO the most valuable thing the SBE can do that it is not yet
>doing is missionary work with station management at state
>broadcaster's conventions, presenting the value of SBE
>certification and specialties to those who make selections so
>they understand the value of qualified people doing their
>technical work.
>
>There is no question that competent technical work and sound
>equipment decisions are less expensive in the long run. If properly
>presented and SOLD to management, a significant number would see
>the value. No, all would not, but enough would get it to begin
>to change the trend, and that would be more valuable to the
>industry than any sort of state licensing IMHO.
>
>Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
>Broadcast Engineering Services and Technology
>(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
>Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037

Mario Hieb, P.E.
Consulting Engineer