[BC] My SBE Suggestions

Fred Gleason fredg
Thu May 19 16:59:48 CDT 2005

Have *really* been trying to stay out of this, but...

On Thursday 19 May 2005 17:25, Mario Hieb wrote:
> 9. Explore state licensure for broadcast engineers.

I think 'state licensure for broadcast engineers' would be an absolute
disaster.  Fifty different versions of what constitutes 'qualified'?  We've
already seen how the states do with areas like RFI compliance -- what makes
us think they'd do any better here?  Broadcasting is a Federally licensed
endeavor, and any government-sponsored personnel certification should
properly come from that same level of government.

And, before we cite 'related' fields that are currently state-regulated (like
electricians):  it's a totally different situation.  Electricians perform
work in virtually every structure erected today.  This makes for a huge
number of people in the regulated field, and hence the state and local
governments concerned have ample resources to develop the necessary expertise
(and even then, the results can be none too impressive -- ever go through an
electrical inspection of a new radio facility?).  Broadcast engineering is a
tiny field by comparison, and so very little knowledge or understanding of it
exists below the Federal level.  Do you really want the same people
responsible for doing the electrical inspection for your last project to be
the ones drafting and enforcing a 'code' for broadcast engineering?  That is
the way it would play out, in every locale outside of (perhaps) LA and NYC.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|     Government [is] an illusion the governed should not encourage.      |
|                                         -- John Updike                  |
|                                            "Couples"                    |