[BC] White House Just Evacuated

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu May 19 14:55:17 CDT 2005

On 17 May 2005 at 9:53, tosenkowsky at prodigy.net wrote:

> >I dunno... how difficult is it, really, to make and file one? (Tom O? Any
> >other pilots here?)
>
> Draw a course line from departure to (first) destination airport. For long
> flights, you may have to refuel. Be aware of controlled airspace,
> Restricted or Prohibited airspace, MOA's, etc. Obtain winds aloft and any
> advisories from 1-800-WXBRIEF. Calculate gropund speed, endurance and
> heading. Call back 1-800-WXBRIEF and file the flight plan. You have the
> option of Flight Following, workload permitting. You will be in radio
> contact with an air traffic controller who will provide you with traffic
> advisories.

I know that's the theory Tom, but flying out of BAF, getting clearances
from BDL appch. for 6 or 7 years back in the late '80's and early 90's
it never seemed to work out quite that easily, and some, not all, of the
BDL appch. controllers tried to pretend they were as busy as BOS and NY
center. Several times when it was CAVU I'd file VFR and request flight
following only to be told "Unable at this time" supposedly due to
workload. All things considered, east coast controllers tended IMHO to
make flying far less enjoyable that it should be. There is no comparison
with flying in the friendly skies owned by Indianapolis and Chicago
centers where the voices on the ground were generally more cordial and
accommodating.

I don't condone the CFI's neglect of careful planning especially
considering the airspace they needed to transit around NYC and DC,
but I have an idea why he might have done that.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037