[BC] Lightning and grounding - tower differences matter?

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu May 19 14:17:25 CDT 2005

On 19 May 2005 at 12:24, Robert Meuser wrote:

> I was always told that the system worked by NOT dissipating all the energy but allowing
> the tower potential to rise and thus have less differential than other objects in the
> vicinity. This may well be why this does work on towers but not other structures where
> there may be multiple discharge paths.

Hmmmm, I thought the idea was discharging excess electrons, more or less as corona, to
make the tower top less negative, but from a relative standpoint that equates to the
same as your description. In that circumstance, wouldn't you want to get as many
electrons off the structure through the device as fast as possible? Therefore, it
seems you would get the best results from the lowest impedance between ground and
device.

> I do know I have have seen severe strikes near the tower but as I stated earlier not one
> piece of gear in the transmission chain ever taken out.

If the charge on the ground is somewhat depleted in the immediate area of the tower
base, it SEEMS logical the leader would start from a more charged location, but I'm
not sure logic and lightning should be used in the same sentence. <g>

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037