[BC] SBE NFL GDC

Mario Hieb, P.E. mario
Wed May 18 22:53:05 CDT 2005

Yes, I am a professional coordinator, but only on big projects like the
Olympics. Besides, there is no NFL team in SLC.

Regarding pay for GDC's, what you state is much different than what Ray
Benedict communicated in a letter to me. In his words, "No compensation was
offered for the volunteer's time on game day..." He maintains that it is an
extension of the volunteer coordination program.

You, and many other people miss the main point here: Professionals get
paid.  To not be appropriately paid is bad for a profession. Perhaps if you
had gone to engineering school, you would have learned this.

Additionally, GDC is in direct violation with the Canon of Ethics. And GDC
may also violate many states professional engineering statutes.

I'm standing up for appropriate pay for all engineers. Why do you and SBE
have such a problem with this?

Mario

At 06:29 PM 5/18/2005, you wrote:
>Message: 5
>Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:38:44 -0600
>From: Mike McCarthy <Towers at mre.com>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Value of service
>
>Mario you seem to have a hard-on for the NFL/SBE working arrangement
>because you are a professional coordinator which was not considered for the
>work. They are keeping that work in-house.
>
>NFL does PAY for the services of Game Day Coordinators.  Quote frankly,
>your rhetoric on what the NFL pays (or doesn't as you expressly state) is
>rather ill-informed. Compensation matters are between the local GDC's and
>the NFL to resolve between them. SBE act's as an administrator for
>disbursing the funds. When SLC gets a NFL team, that will be the time you
>take that up with the NFL if you are interested.  FWIW, there are a NUMBER
>of non-SBE member GDC's.
>
>What is not well known is any money left over from the GDC fund at SBE goes
>into the Enne's Foundation's general fund.  So there are some GDC's who
>don't take their stipend and that goes right to Ennes.  Now tell me
>Mario...where is the harm there?
>
>What you also don't know is the NFL provides the GDC's laptop computers
>free for them to use elsewhere as well as a number of other little
>perq's.  For the football fan (of which I am one), press box seats and
>sideline access are (thank's to Mastercard...) priceless.  That laptop in
>many cases will also be used for the new SBC coordination software.  So
>there is a win/win there too.
>
>I won't argue the point about one's valuing their services
>appropriately.  But there are times where it is hard to pin down hard $$$
>to something which we enjoy without a lot of "work" involved.  Being a GDC
>is one of those.  And there are 64 others who happen to agree.....
>
>MM

Mario Hieb, P.E.
Consulting Engineer

36 H St. #2