[BC] What the SBE should be .. and should not be

Mario Hieb reader
Wed May 18 16:20:02 CDT 2005

Sorry Chris, I disagree; this is an excellent forum to discuss SBE related
issues. It's good that many of these things see the light of day.

Before I go on, I should say that I've been a Chapter Chairman, SBE Board
nominee and have recruited many members. Let me also say that SBE does do
many good things for it's members.

Let me again distill the issues I have with SBE:

1. SBE should be ONLY a professional organization. It should not be in the
engineering business. It should not be involved in NFL volunteer frequency
coordination; NFL should hire a good frequency coordinator. Sorry Ray, but
I don't share your belief that NFL or the TV networks (including your
employer, Viacom) can't afford to pay for it.

SBE should not be subsidizing the NFL; they should not recruit volunteers
to provide discount engineering services to a for-profit entity. SBE does
not stand for Subsidized By Engineers.

2. SBE is too interested in tangential issues, such as NFL coordination. It
doesn't focus on what professional organizations should be doing. Often,
the interests of the engineer differ from the interests of the
client/employer. SBE should support only the engineer, that's what it's
chartered to do.

3. SBE doesn't set high standards of professionalism. Professionals do not
volunteer services to for-profit entities.

4. SBE doesn't set minimum levels of education for engineers. All other
professions require this.

5. SBE doesn't live by their Code of Ethics. NFL GDC is an example of this.

6. SBE doesn't police their own membership.

7. SBE (to my knowledge) doesn't promote the protection of life and safety
of the general public. Yes, there are life and safety issues in broadcast
engineering.

8. SBE doesn't ask the question: "Is this in the best, long-term interest
of the profession?"

Chris, if you watch this list, you know that many engineers are frustrated
with their lot in life. They are seen professionally as something slightly
higher than a janitor.

SBE could do so much to help this problem. All it would take would be to
adopt a few techniques that have worked well for other professions and be
the best example of high professional standards.

Mario