[BC] Lightning and grounding ... fun for all!

Bruce Doerle bdoerle
Wed May 18 14:03:07 CDT 2005

>>> lowen at pari.edu 05/18/05 12:59 PM >>>

Is making our towers into 'very-reluctant strike receptors' not the goal of
Lightning Prevention?

I think NOT.

If you want prevention, I think you need to make arrangements with Mother Nature.

If you want protection, there are steps you can take to try to direct lightning away from equipment, but there is never a guarantee with lightning.  It is the bull in the china shop syndrome.

What I believe that you don't want to do is to have faith in a product that cannot deliver.  CTS type devices make claims to prevention, but demonstration that supported these was made, it was under tighly controlled condition that do not replicate what Mother Nature does or can do.  The intensity of a lightning strike greatly exceeds those laboratory conditions.  If there is a level of 'prevention' at the top of the tower, it won't prevent lightning from striking elsewhere on the tower which may include sensitive electrical/electronic apparatus.  You you not prefer it strike at a location where it can be dissipated safely?

Bruce