[BC] Re: CE transmitter

Kevin C. Kidd kkidd
Wed May 18 13:03:12 CDT 2005

Ah the memories...

I briefly maintained a BC-10H running 5kw in the mid 80's.  It would eat a
handful of the audio driver Q's on regular occasions.  The old BC-10H gave
pretty good service but required a lot of maintenance & TLC to keep it that
way.  I was summarily fired from that station because of "engineering
costs" and was replaced by a DJ who happened to own a tool box.  About a
year later I was called by the owner (station was under LMA, I was fired by
the LMAer) to check the BC10 which had been off the air for months.  I
discovered that my replacement had been replacing the 1 and 2 watt
resistors in the audio driver with Radio Shack 1/2watt's and the Q's with
non-compatible ECG's (a transistor is a transistor... right?) and non
polarized caps with electrolitics and a large area of the AF driver circuit
brd was totally burned away and the HV contactor was bypassed with pieces
of #12 wire and the little RCA 1kw stby/nite TX was using the BC-10's mod
xformer.  The BC-10 did have a new RF driver tube in it.  I told the owner
that he should jack up the new tube and drive a new transmitter under it.

He was not amused.

The 10 was subsequently replace by a BC-5P that as I understand was
intended for export as manufactured.  The 5P had tube (807?) audio
drivers.  It was pretty stable and remained in operation until abt 2 years
ago when it was replaced by a BE solid state.  The BC5 is still in place
but not immediately operable due to parts scavenging.

--

Kevin Kidd, CSRE
WD4RAT
mailto:kkidd at kkbc.com