[BC] The Worst transmitter of All Time

Dale H. Cook radiotest
Wed May 18 07:05:21 CDT 2005

At 04:08 PM 5/17/2005, Randy Wells wrote:

>All I can really add to the  discussion is that the Gates BC-1J
>was a REALLY mean thing trick to  pull on a guy just getting started in
>Broadcast Engineering.

I think it is a mean trick to pull on someone who has been engineering for
35 years. I tag-teamed on one with another engineer a couple of years ago.
Between us we had about 70 years of experience, and together we couldn't
make it play again, so the owner bought a Nautel.

>Most other Gates Kilowatt boxes I have known were  OK

They were OK - the J was succeeded by the T, successive revisions of which
became the G and the H.

>The Raytheon  RA-1000 was my favorite; you could sit
>inside to do the maintenance!

I had an RA-1000 as an aux 20 years ago. It had some of Dan Churchill's
iron in it, and, IMHO, sounded better than the McMartin BA-1K main.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, Centennial Broadcasting, Roanoke/Lynchburg,
VA - WZZI / WZZU / WLNI
http://members.cox.net/dalehcook/starcity.shtml