[BC] SBE is not AFCCE

Mario Hieb reader
Tue May 17 10:44:14 CDT 2005

I am a member of AFCCE and can't speak for the organization. If the are
AFCCE officers/board members on this list, then perhaps they may want to
chime in.

AFCCE is made up primarily of Professional Engineers and attorneys.  They
weigh in on the engineering aspects of FCC issues, not the financial ones.

Think about it. If the FCC takes away a 2 GHz. RPU channel, who does it
affect? Yes, the engineer may be involved, but he/she is not the licensee,
who may make or lose money on an FCC decision.

SBE is not and should not be (like NAB) a lobbying organization for
stations. Frankly, the leaders of SBE look pretty silly running around
putting out every fire that flares up when there other more important
issues they should be dealing with. Leave the fires to the people who are
(and should be) getting paid to put them out and let the station owners,
not SBE members, pay the bill.

As an example, look at NFL Game Day Coordination (GDC). It financially
affects the NFL, the TV networks, the local stations, but not really the
engineer. NAB or the FCC should really be doing GDC, but they don't because
1) They're too smart, and 2) SBE falls all over itself to do it for free.

SBE should look at every issue before it and decide if it is truly an issue
that directly affects the members financially. This is a good first step
towards developing a true professional organization.

By the way, would like one of you SBE officer/board types mind telling me
how much SBE spends on legal fees each year?

Mario