[BC] Where the lightning goes

Dave Hultsman reader
Tue May 17 10:40:17 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/12/05 12:05:28 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:
One of the things that came up in June of 2003 was an interesting demo clip
from Hitachi.  I was wondering from this group what they thought of this
demonstration:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/B/r/BroadCastDesign/lightning/Hitachi_prevention_video_clip.wmv.

Any comments?  I believe Mr. Mousa, BTW who is the moderator of the
LightningProtection group and who has posted here today, will comment since
this clip came from him, but I would hope he would wait until others have
given their thoughts.

Thanks,

Bruce

************************************

I guess there can be many comments both ways.  It appears that the voltages
developed on the static ball are neutralized (or Drained) when the
dissipator approaches the ball.  I guess the voltages used could also be a
consideration...

I have seen a lot of sites and am amazed at the solutions attempted that
fail and also what finally works.   Also I am amazed what works for one
area of town or the state will not be appropriate for another area.

One of the neatest devices is the Strike monitor that Lyncole or one of the
companies makes.  I recall one station engineer that installed one of those
and was amazed at how many hits he had.  The consultant explained that many
of those logged were static discharges.

Also some may recall when the ERI "rototiller" antenna first came out they
didn't have the 1/4 wave stub on the antenna.  On transmitters with their
antenna loading pickups that were not at ground started experiencing arcing
within the PA's causing overloads.  These overloads were due to the static
build up on the end of the insulated antenna elements and going to ground
all the way down the tower in the PA cavity.  ERI added the 1/4 wave stub
to the antenna.  Prior ERI models were grounded.

Good discussion,  I think our conclusion will be that the ELEPHANT goes
where IT wants.

Dave Hultsman