[BC] anti-fading radiators

Clive Warner clive
Sun May 15 18:11:45 CDT 2005

>Whether or not that extra field strength produces a truly worthwhile
benefit
>at the receiver is another matter.  A good assessment of that would be to
>temporarily reduce TPO by 2dB (27%), and see how that affects listeners.
>Probably few would perceive any difference.
>
>RF

- I don't think it's as simple as that.
The extra 2dB is not 'free' power, it comes from reduction of the skywave.
I believe the overall effect (benefit) is to improve the 200mV/m groundwave
contour, at the expense of the (fading prone, due to sky/groundwave mixing)
intermediate zone where groundwave does not, in any case, provide a usable
service. At the same time, the skywave radiation angle is lowered, resulting
in a usable strong skywave signal at a greater distance than you would get
from a simple quarter-wave.
At least, that's what the Beeb taught me.
- Clive