[BC] Re: SUPER MODULATION & AM STANDARDS

gRAdy Moates lists
Sun May 15 12:29:21 CDT 2005

>The 125% limit was put into effect because of splatter.  Stations
> that supermodulated (especially ones near the top of the dial)
> used to splatter like crazy, wiping out most stations within 20
> or 30 kHz away. I remember 1510 in Boston being 1/2 an inch
> wide on my Mustang car radio's dial. This was done on purpose
> to have dial dominance.

While I feel that the increased energy of supermodulation has the
direct effect of pushing out the contours of a station beyond the
locations predicted by the allocation (and that this was one of the
reasons that the FCC instituted the 125% pos-peak limit), we
have discussed, on another list, about a year ago, the splatter
issue, which is also real.  Specifically, on the other list, there was
a fairly lengthy discussion of the transmitters used by WBAM,
Montgomery, AL and it's 'sister stations' owned by the Brennan
family.  These 50 kW stations were using transmitters that had
been custom-built, and had pos-peak modulation capability that
was near 200%.  By hard-clipping the negatives, these stations
became 'splatter monsters', but they covered an amazing amount
of ground during the day.  I remember WBAM coming in clearly on
a Sears Silvertone 6-transistor radio in Cottondale, Florida during
the daytime.  All the kids in my High School listened to them.
They were 'the only game in town', and they weren't even in town.

Two good reasons to institute the limit. . . enforcing contours
and reducing splatter.

Of course, later, when NRSC filtering was instituted, it became
simple to supermodulate without splatter.  Matter of fact,
when I was at WOL, WZYQ, WYRE and WPRW, several years
before NRSC was instituted, I was running clippers with embedded
two-pole low-pass filtering at around 10 kHz.  My reason for this was
to reduce the amount of the transmitter's modulation capability that
was being wasted on generating sideband energy that did not
contribute to loudness.  I stole the idea directly from Bob Orban's
design in the Optimod 8000 for FM, but, of course, my circuitry was
not NEARLY as elegant as Bob's.

When NRSC became law, I just bought a bunch of Bob's 9100
NRSC upgrade cards, pulled my filters out and stuck Bob's filters
in.  That was a lot of fun.

A couple of years ago, new owners of WZYQ finally replaced that
stuff with new digital processing boxes, and Ken Sleeman kindly
asked me if I'd like to have my old stuff back.  It feels good when
you can build something and have it still be running after 20 years.

THANK YOU, Ken.

Grady

Grady Moates

Owner, LOUD & Clean Broadcast Science