[BC] Turned-off listeners (Was: ...Sirius-ly...")

Kent Winrich reader
Sun May 15 11:48:23 CDT 2005

WFIFeng at aol.com wrote:

>Again... what happened? How were all those little stations keeping such
>staffs paid and happy, and now, they're all dark & empty with nothing but
>a PC & sat dish most of the time?
>
>If some stations would bring back the live, *local* announcers and
>programming, I wonder if the listenership would eventually return, also?
>They'd notice that the announcers were talking about their local area,
>giving the actual *time* & temp (not "12 past the hour")...
>sigh. Rant over.

Interesting comments.....

There are quite a few small market station that thought it would be better
to run the bird.  But as an example, we have a small AM/FM combo just
outside of the Milwaukee area (the AM is a daytimer), that runs a lot of
local stuff, and live announcers.  They play a lot of Polka and old time
country, along with farm reports for th farmers.  They truly seem to care
about the community and are doing a good job serving it.

IMHO it is just being lazy turning on the bird 24/7.
There are a lot of people that may make fun of the small market stations
that do play polka, have the lost pet call ins, or "help your neighbor"
programs, but they are performing a service to the community.