[BC] Re: SUPER MODULATION & AM STANDARDS

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Sun May 15 02:11:55 CDT 2005

Actually IBOC is worse, Dave..

First off, unlike analog audio, it's always there. It's power distribution
curve looks like  a square wave - it stays out at 100% all the way to the edge
of the channel. Analog has its maximum amplitude at carrier, falling off
gradually toward the channel edges.

Do remember, in the days of supermodulation, most AM stations had (some) audio
out to at least 15 kHz - no NRSC filters!

Second, when detected by an analog detector, it has a "buzz jamming" sound,
which is psychoacoustically gnawing to human ears. Our ears tend to hear sound
as a whole rather then it's parts. This is how masking (perceptual coding)
works. The buzz saw sound draws attention to itself because of its dominance.

-D