[BC] More tower sites from above...

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Sat May 14 01:27:44 CDT 2005

A Franklin is basically a very large co-linear antenna similar to a Ringo
Ranger.

------ Original Message ------
From: PeterH5322 at aol.com
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re:  Re: [BC] More tower sites from above...

>>the KDKA tower looks a bit taller than I would expect for its frequency.
>>The tree line out to the bottom right from the tower base looks like
>>it might be encroaching on the radial field.  zooming back I see
>>houses not too far away here also.
>
>Take a look at the box in the middle of the tower. it's a Franklin.

A sectional, yes.

A Franklin, no.

The only true Franklin I am aware of is at KFBK ... two Franklin
radiators, each 180 degrees over 180 degrees, in a DA-2 array.

(For clerical purposes, a Franklin is given a unique Sect code, and the
height is specified as one of the two equal sections. It is assumed that
the radiator is center fed and that the base is grounded through an
impedance, a capacitor to be specific. If each height is not 180 degrees,
than it is not classified as a Franklin).

KSTP has a radiator of the "Franklin type", 179 degrees over 179 degrees,
but it is classified as a conventional sectional, not as a Franklin.

Either KFBK's or KSTP's does about 510 mV/m/kW at 1 km.