[BC] Should Skywave Listening protection continue?

Rich Wood richwood
Fri May 13 22:33:19 CDT 2005

------ At 08:19 PM 5/13/2005, Tom Taggart wrote: -------

>On the other hand, If I owned one of those stations, I would be in the
>GM's office of the IBOC station the day after it came on, suggesting he
>turn it off or I sue. Then file a complaint with the FCC ( with the note
>that the better act in 30 days or I would be going into my local court)
>wait the thirty days, then file on the basis of nuisance in my state court.

Who has jurisdiction? If the FCC blesses an iBiquity monopoly will a local
or state court have any muscle, especially since the interference is
probably coming from hundreds of miles away? If the FCC requires the
interfering station to eliminate the interference will there ever come a
time when analog goes away? Will the big mother causing the interference in
someone else's protected contour be required to shut IBOC off or reduce
power? I don't know many 50Kw stations that would voluntarily reduce power
just to have "CD Quality" audio.

>Suspect this would chill the enthusiasm for this flawed technology on the
>part of a lot ogf GM's.

Will the parent companies come up with the money to buy legislation that
screws the little guy? Also, don't forget the NAB has lobbied for nighttime
IBOC. It appears the little guy's dues aren't as important as Gargantua
International. No one at the FCC, so far as I know, has said what they'll
require if interference looks like mutually assured destruction. It's
typical. Just like indecency. We don't know what the rules are until we're
deeply involved.

Bottom line is that whoever has the most money to buy the legislators will win.

Rich