[BC] Re: RCA 5T, and 5U-2

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri May 13 19:33:54 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/13/05 12:45:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:
The 5T was put in to replace the 5F; it was a
'junkyard dog' 5T that John lovingly restored from absolute ruin.  Put many
of his own vacuum variables, glass windows, tubes, etc, in the beast, and
brought it up from ruin in two days.  He showed me how to properly align the
3rd harmonic resonator on the beast; that's how the 5T got away with a single
5762 unlike the 5R which had a pair.  With the 3rd harmonic resonator out of
alignment, the box would do only 3300 watts; the 3rd harmonic resonators
(plate and grid) basically put the 5762 into a pseudo squarewave mode that
brought efficiency way up and got it up to 5500 watts.
I had an RCA 5 U2, three cabinet 5 kW. with one 5762 and the cathode and
plate resonators.  I never could get this one to work properly. And I could make
the 5400 I needed for night but no head room for modulation.  Even had RCA in
to work on it. So we just continued to clip our negatives for loudness and
distortion.

The earlier 5H with two 5762's, that my competition had would really talk.
The 5762 triode was rated at 1.0 Amps and typically you needed 1.25 Amp to make
power.The only way it would work half rite was for the resonators to be
working.

Dave