[BC] Re:Asymmetry in voice modulation

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri May 13 19:25:08 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/13/05 12:45:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:
But, isn't asymmetrical modulation really distortion by definition .
++++++++++++

When we built new studios in 1963,  we followed our normal wiring polarity
(mono).  The we made a test with a diode and resistor on an oscillator.  This
was fed into each mike input in the system and we watched the clipped waveform
thru out the system until everything was in proper phase all the way to the
transmitter. We found that three Microhones had their connectors wired to a
different standard and had to change the cable connector pins. We also noticed
that there could be differences in positive peaks on different mikes.  The real
difference in symmetry was in human voices.  I was impressed at one lady whose
voice was 10 to 15% higher on the positive peaks.

Dave