[BC] Re: 12 Pulse (Phase) Power supplies

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri May 13 19:06:58 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/13/05 12:45:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:
Three-phase full-wave gives you six pulses per cycle, and requires six
rectifiers, total.

Three-phase full-wave zig-zag gives you twelve pulses per cycle, and
requires twelve rectifiers, total.
Peter
 As I recall the ripple frequency was 720 Hz.,  which was easier to filter
and dropped the values of the LC filters, reducing the size.  Silicon diodes
became cheaper than the iron and copper and at the same time you got better peak
performance on low frequency audio,  especially with older plate modulation,
because of the beefier power supply available.  The later PWM (PDM)
transmitters were all using the extra rectifiers.

Also the AEL 25 kW. FM used the 12 pulse or (Phase) power supply as I recall.

Dave
The Continental 315R-1 used 12 rectifier modules in the power supply.