[BC] More tower sites from above...

Fred Gleason fredg
Fri May 13 15:27:16 CDT 2005

Now here's a blast from the past, just about 1/2 mi NW of the WMCA site:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kearny+nj&ll=40.752679,-74.105412&spn=0.005418,0.007918&t=k&hl=en

This is the old WNEW (1130 kHz) site, abandoned back in the (I think) 1960's.
The building and tower bases are still there.  If you look closely, you can
also see the crumpled steel from one of the towers still lying there in the
drink (this whole area is salt marsh).  They just collapsed them and left
them there to rust when the site was condemned by the NJ Turnpike Authority
(the eastern branch of the Turnpike is the superhighway visible in the lower
right corner of the photo.

About another 1/2 NW from WNEW was the old WAAT (now WWDJ) site (now covered
up by a landfill).  I used to have an aerial photo from the fifties showing
all three of them strung out along  that stretch of Belleville Turnpike.

Ah, the Jersey Meadows -- junkyard city...  :)

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
| Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy, but it's very  |
| funny -- Did you ever try buying them without money?                    |
|                                          -- Ogden Nash                  |