[BC] AM skywave

Bill Harms wharms
Fri May 13 14:13:47 CDT 2005

Scott:

	Perhaps you have a good point about "noise free" FM, but Skywave
reception was ruined in large part when the FCC allowed more stations to operate at
night on the so-called clear channels.  Instead of finding ways to take advantage of
night time reception via skywave, the FCC and the broadcast industry went the
opposite direction.

	I am one of those pesky DXers.  I still like to listen to stations like WBZ from
my location here in Maryland, but if my local station on 1030 were to broadcast at
night it would ruin my reception of WBZ.  Yes, I realize that I am one of the few
people who still listen while not DXing to long distance stations, but I wonder if there
would not be more such people if the FCC and the broadcast industry looked for
ways to use this under-utilized natural resource - namely nighttime skywave
reception.

Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland