[BC] More tower sites from above...

Scott Fybush scott
Fri May 13 09:57:58 CDT 2005

Here's a nifty Google satellite image that may begin to explain how I got
this way. The red pin is on the house here in Rochester NY where I grew up
(and where my parents still live). Just to the northwest, across the
expressway (I-590), is the three-tower array of what was then WAXC 1460 and
is now WHIC. That building just to the north of the 1460 array was my
elementary school.

Just to the south of the subdivision where I grew up is the apartment
complex where the family lived until I was 3. Just to the south of THAT is
my old middle school. And zoom in on the field just to the west of the
middle school to see the four-tower array of what was then WSAY 1370 and is
now WXXI. (Which I'm now doing some fill-in news work for, just to bring
things full circle.)

Here's the link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=120+viennawood+drive,+14618&ll=43.106791,-77.570629&spn=0.022316,0.029354&t=k&hl=en

And if that wasn't a sufficiently RF-irradiated childhood, pan to the west
and you'll see two more AM DAs - the four towers of 1280 (then WROC, now
WHTK) sit just south of the Erie Canal (which is drained in this photo,
which must have been taken in early spring) and west of Winton Road (the
major diagonal road that goes from SW to NE). Here's a nice closeup of 1280
(lower left, massively encroached upon by an office park) and 1370 (center
right):

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14618&ll=43.101254,-77.577982&spn=0.011158,0.014677&t=k&hl=en

Just a little ways to the west along the Erie Canal is the four tower array
of 950 (WBBF for most of its life, now WROC):

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14618&ll=43.107090,-77.595534&spn=0.005579,0.007339&t=k&hl=en

And now I live a mile or so to the north of all those towers, and 4300 feet
from Pinnacle Hill, where five towers are home to all the TV in the market,
along with four FMs (three Bs and an A). This image is zoomed in on the hill:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14618&ll=43.135661,-77.584097&spn=0.005579,0.007339&t=k&hl=en

but zoom out a couple levels to see how close I am to all that!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=92+Bonnie+Brae+Ave,+Rochester,+NY+14618&ll=43.132839,-77.580385&spn=0.022316,0.029354&t=k&hl=en

I'll do some Boston ones later...