[BC] White House Just Evacuated

Kirk Harnack kirk
Thu May 12 18:59:38 CDT 2005

Sid Schweiger wrote:
>>>The panic over the improper incursion of the small aircraft into
> restricted airspace was perhaps excessive, but a lot less than what
> would
> have happened if it had been full of 200 lbs of explosives and hit the
> Supreme Court or other major government building.<<
>
> ...which is why stating that a Cessna can't do very much damage is
> utterly stupid.

One ran into the White House a few years ago and crumpled on the lawn.
Remember that?

Not much damage.

> Also, the instructor on the flight in question should have, as I
> understand it, taught his student pilot to know where he's going
> (doesn't he have to file a flight plan before departure?)

No, he doesn't under VFR.

> , and if he had
> glanced even once at the Washington-area aeronautical chart, he would
> have see the bright red outline of the prohibited airspace and the
> warning that any plane entering it without authorization would be
> subject to forced diversion and its pilot arrested (at least that's what
> it looked like the last time I saw that chart).

Last time I looked, restricted and prohibited airspace was blue, but I
could be wrong and I don't have a chart handy.

Yes, the pilot and passenger were absolute idiots to have done this.
They really should have known better.

Kirk