[BC] Re: SUPER MODULATION & AM STANDARDS

Gary Blau gblau
Thu May 12 16:15:33 CDT 2005

I'm sorry to hear about John's passing, he was a very civilized, kindly
gent.

Back in the early/mid 70's he was the DOE for the company which owned
WEAM 1390 Arlington, VA, to which you refer, as well as a couple other
Carolina stations.
They had a 10KW RCA throttled back to 5kw.  And it did indeed
supermodulate.  The 'secret switch' on the Gates limiter would open up
the positives all the way and the mod monitor would pin, and stay that
way.  Used to drive WPGC crazy back when AM was a big deal in DC
Top-40.  Very loud.

Ed Buterbaugh was the CE until ~72 or so, I believe, before he went on
to CKLW.
Morgan Burrow was the CE in 75-77 when I did part time engineering
there, along with a bunch of other DC types like John Bissett & Tom
Shedlick.  Just about everybody worked there for a little while, it
seemed.