[BC] RE: SBE

Scherer, Chriss CSCHERER
Thu May 12 09:21:45 CDT 2005

From: "Mario Hieb, P.E." <mario at xmission.com>

From: "Mike McCarthy" <mre at ais.net>
>So Mario...what's your beef with SBE this week?
>But I'm sure Ray Benedict would like to know since you are a member.

Mario:
I shared your comment with Ray Benedict. He asked me to respond because he is not on this list.

Mike McCarthy already pointed out that little expense is devoted to filing on FCC issues. The work of the SBE's FCC Liaison Committee is a volunteer effort led by Dane Ericksen. Most communication is done electronically. Any expenses encountered are minimal, such as mailing or copying.

The SBE comments on issues that are of interest to the membership and concern a technical matter. There are many issues for which the SBE does not submit comments. Other groups and individuals file comments as well, but the SBE has earned the the respect of the FCC for its reliable and unbiased filings, and the FCC has asked the SBE to assist in clarifying portions of the rules. The SBE often works with other groups in preparing comments. As Mike pointed out, each filing is considered for its affect on broadcasters and SBE members.

Mario, can you be specific in your concern? I know that you have not contacted Ray Benedict with any concerns. As an SBE member you have a voice in the Society's activities. The SBE leadership is always available.

Chriss Scherer, CSRE CBNT
vice president, Society of Broadcast Engineers