[BC] Re: SUPER MODULATION & AM STANDARDS

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu May 12 09:11:34 CDT 2005

On 12 May 2005 at 7:20, DHultsman5 at aol.com wrote:

> I agree maybe this should be looked at again.  Same with opening up  the
> rules for reduced carrier and Kahn's  CSSB  pushing the modulation  into one
> sideband, upper or lower  away from your closest adjacent  channel.  With
> deregulation the basic requirements should be on frequency,  best performance, staying
> within the spectral mask.
>
> Leonard Kahn filed requests for proposed rule making for CSSB on AM  twice.
> The majority of stations were against it as I recall mainly because  it would
> open up additional AM channels in many markets.  The compatible
> single-sideband was used in international broadcasting to reduce bandwidth and  still had
> enough carrier for proper detection and keeping noise down.

IMHO we are past the point of doing anything with analog.
The time for that was 25 years ago when DSB with reduced
carrier would have been a good answer. The real problem
is the FCC let the band become overcrowded and failed to
enforce the standards on power line noise, then the
automotive set manufacturers narrowed the I/F BW to
almost nothing to combat the overcrowding problem. As a
result, analog is not very useful today.

IMHO the best answer that's out there right now is the
analog compatible mode of DRM, preferably with VSB
suppression. If the Commish leaves that open and set
manufacturers make receivers that are both "open" and
"smart", the Standard Broadcast band could make
a comeback that would be very interesting.

Phil Alexander, CSRE
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037