[BC] Dissipating products

Richard Fry rfry
Wed May 11 16:57:46 CDT 2005

>I was at a day -long seminar on lightning protection last January, held by
>an "expert." He emphatically stated that static dissipators don't work. He
>also suggested "grounding" the center conductors of your coax and attaching
>lightning rods to your antenna elements. True story!!

The center conductor of a coax run feeding the driven arms of an FM
broadcast transmit antenna usually is at "tower ground" -- either as a
result of the element design, or via a shorted 1/4-wave stub that is part of
the antenna feed system.  And the other arm of each FM element almost always
has a direct, low-resistance DC path back to the tower, as well.

RF