[BC] Lightning Prevention?????

Mike McCarthy mre
Wed May 11 01:12:28 CDT 2005

Except for those which launch a rocket with a wire in the air, I have
yet to see any valid proof of any avoidance system doing what they
purport. Lightning will strike where the path ionizes sufficiently.
Avoidance system or otherwise.

I am a believer in dissipation devices to the extent that I believe
they help de-ionize the atmosphere near the structure to some extent
or  "steer" the lighting towards them as opposed to my antennas or
other more sensitive top of tower device(s).  Mr. Whitehair's tower's
experience should helpt bear that out.

My view is rather simple... If a dissipation array which cost me $3K to
install saves me one major outage or antenna reapir, then it's money
well spent...or at least we think  so.

While I have no proof one way or the other, my preferred device are the
ERI sunflowers.  Heavy duty, easy to install...not too expensive.

MM

> Fellow broadcasters,
>
> Last week there was a brief debate on the merits of Charge
Dissipation Devices (ie lightning prevention or avoidance systems).
The debate started in response to a message from Mr. Dana Whitehair of
KUT, University of Texas.  Mr. Whitehair's message, mine, and others
are shown below this initial paragraph grouping.

> Of course, this raised some hairs on the manufacturer's of these
products and number of messages took place in public and behind the
scenes.  The end product of these messages attacked me and eluded to
testimonials as evidence that their products work.  Most engineers and
scientist know that CTS and ESE products do not work; they have not
been endorsed by any professional scientific, regulatory, or standards
body.  The manufacturers offer no scientific proof of their theories
and claim their products performance by using testimonials as evidence
that the product works.  However, there is a significant fault in this
logic.  The testimonials are from unknowing persons who lack the
knowledge to understand this questionable, unproven technology.

> My issue in this message is to open a debate on the merits of CTS
(protection / avoidance) technology.  Lightning is an issue that most
broadcast must deal with and how you deal with it will determine the
safety and reliability issues of your broadcast site.  I do not believe
that the claims made by CTS vendors is clearly understood in our
broadcast community, and I would like to open this issue up for
discussion.  I invite all interest parties to participate.  I encourage
you to read the messages below to understand with who you are dealing.

> Regards,
>
> Bruce

> Greetings once again from Austin!
>
> Did somebody say "lightning?"
>
> Anyone have any experience or insight - or both -regarding current
> lightning "dissipation" systems vs. lightning "avoidance" systems?
>
> The "crown of thorns" that once adorned our tower has lost a serious
> number of its thorns. I've been looking at replacing it, but have
> been contacted by Lightning Experts, Inc. about installing their
> "avoidance"-based system instead of the old dissipation system.
>
> Any opinions? Experience? Ranting? Raving?
>
> Thanks in advance, y'all!
>
> DEW
> --
> Dana E. Whitehair
> Manager of Technical Services
> KUT 90.5 Austin/KUTX 90.1 San Angelo/www.kut.org
> The University of Texas at Austin
>

> my response:
>
> Dana,
>
> Avoidance or charge dissapation devices do not work.  There is a lot
of untruths and false claims on these products.  The key is they are
not approved by professional body although they approved by UL for
workmanship only.   Go to this website to learn why:

> http://www.lightningsafety.com/index.html
>
> I can provide you more websites to educate you these devices.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bruce
>
> Bruce Doerle
> Director of Engineering
> WUCF-FM
> Jazz & More 89.9
> Orlando, Florida

> Dear Bruce,
>
> This was not met for a rebuttal, as you put it. I am sorry you think
this way, and also that you think we lack the knowledge, you are very
sad.   May be, TV stations should try to hire an engineer with out a
resume!!!!!!  GET IT.....Take care and get a life.....

your industry has not been accepted by the knowledgeable scientific
community.  No professional organization that promotes the standards
for or overseas lightning protection (ie. IEEE or NFPA) considers
charge dissipation devices or early streamer emitters as effective or
that these devices have any scientific basis.

> I feel it as wrong to promote a product on the testimonials by those
who lack the knowledge to knowingly judge what they have.  I encourage
Dana to look into the technology or lack thereof and make his own
decision, but that decision should not be made on testimonials from the
unknowing.  There are many organizations that can properly inform him
of approved lightning protection techniques.

> Regards,
>
> Bruce

> Dear Dana,
>
> I had a chance to review everybody's statements about lightning
protection.  I think its funny when someone makes a statement like
below! We have been in this business (LIGHTNING PROTECTION) not
engineering, for over 28 years.  I have attach just a couple of
testimonials for you and others to read, please keep in mind that we
have been in this business for over 28 years and NO PROBLEMS with any
CUSTOMERS.........in reference to protecting
> the sites from lightning hits.   Dana, only you can make the right
decision. I wish you the very best, take care.

> Thank you,
>
> Louis R. Diaz
> CEO/OWNER
> Lightning Experts, LLC
> Toll Free: 1-800-681-2210
> Voice: 352-797-0207
> Fax: 352-797-0208
>
> E-Mail: LRD at lightningexperts.com
>
> www.lightningexperts.com
>

> Richard Tarney - RTLIGHTNINGEXPERTS at WI.RR.COM

years and let me assure you that the technologies you dispell do indeed
work!!!!!
> I have no problem selling lightning rods, chem rods, surge
suppression and dissipation devices. All these devices have a purpose
and fortunately for those using them, it has been worthwhile or they
wouldn't come back when they build another site.
> Your negativity is well-known and we who are moving forward feel
thankful that we look to the future knowing we are serving our
community honestly and properly with observation, experience in the
field, testimonial documentation( it's not nice to call these people
liars) and other data collected over many years.