[BC] Some Satellite Radio Stats

Rich Wood richwood
Tue May 10 12:46:44 CDT 2005

------ At 12:32 PM 5/10/2005, DANA PUOPOLO wrote: -------

>They claim that only satellite radio has only 681,000 listeners in the top 50
>markets. Where are the OTHER 4.4 million satellite listeners coming from then?
>  The numbers simply don't add up. "New math" perhaps?

A subscriber isn't necessarily a listener. I have a second subscription to
XM and SIRIUS. I've recently moved and not set up my home units, so I can't
be counted as a listener for those two subscriptions. Let's assume the 260
or so satellite channels have an equal number of listeners, since there's
no way to know for sure. That leaves each channel with  2619 listeners in
the top 50 markets.

Let's assume 120 of those channels carry no commercials. That leaves
314,280 "listeners" (if everyone is listening at the same time) to deliver
to an advertiser. That assumes the same spot runs on all the commercial
channels to get that bulk figure.

There are more than 250 Arbitron rated markets. I guess the remaining 4.4
million are in the boonies like me. That would lead me to believe that
sales are similar to small unrated markets where one can track where a
purchase came from. At least a small market radio station can do a remote
and show the client how effective they can be.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084