[BC] Digital Radio Express

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon May 9 11:14:31 CDT 2005

On 7 May 2005 at 8:21, Barry Mishkind wrote:

> At 07:32 AM 5/7/2005, JD Davis wrote
> >non-commercial station or something like that. This would have been great 10
> >years ago, but I don't think you're going to get folks to pay a monthly fee
> >for one audio stream when they can get 100+ from satellite.
>
>          No ... you start DRE with "open" programming.
>          Everything is in the clear.  All the subcarriers.
>
>          What is it with corporations today that everything
>          is profit from day one?

Barry,

The problem with DRE is the receiving capability is not inherent. It must
be added to the last IF stage of the receiver and decoded. Secondly, it
is not compatible with the full digital IBOC mode. I'm not sure about the
hybrid mode, but when analog subs go away, so does DRE. This is the
reason I can't see a set maker tooling up to produce a set with integral
DRE capability. Essentially, a DRE set is a subcarrier receiver with
digital subcarrier demod. For a limited time, for niche markets, it may
be useful, but there is a cost attached to be borne by someone. Secondly,
when the hybrid IBOC operation ends, there will be additional channels
available, probably WITH inherent capability for receiving them built
into sets. I think DRE is a great idea, but about 15 years too late. It
will have applications in other areas of the world in all probability
IMHO, just not here because IBOC is too far out of the train station.
Other countries seem NOT to be adopting IBOC in droves, but the FCC/NAB/
major group cabal see it differently here. Thus, it's unrealistic to
think it has a big future in domestic broadcasting.

Phil Alexander, CSRE
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037