[BC] LPFM on Xlators

Keith Hammond monsterfm
Sun May 8 19:35:43 CDT 2005

> I could see where one could read the rules to determine that it was
> prohibited, but apparently that's not the way the FCC reads
> the rules.  The
> precedent appears to have been set that it's ok, so I guess I
> (and anyone
> else who dislikes that interpretation of the rules) will just
> have to live
> with it.

  I'm trying to tread lightly here as I know that we've always disagreed
on the subject of LPFM. Please understand that none of the following is
personal in any way.

  The idea was not to offend or to upset anyone. It was simply a means
of helping to get the "local guys" more into the local markets that NAB
and NPR had all but eliminated them from. The way I see it, if the local
LPFM's hadn't been granted these translators, Calvary Chapel, Radio
Assist Ministries, Family Stations, Inc. or someone from any number of
states away would've gotten them. And (seriously) in some of these
markets, this would've left *nothing* but remote voice-tracked stations
and satellators from hundreds (or thousands) of miles distant.

  As I see it, if a commercial operation is truly providing a
compelling, quality product (and not simply remotely produced generic
voice-tracking), there will be no reason to worry at all. Of course, on
the flip-side of the coin, there will always be some who feel that every
"dollar-a-holler" that is raised by a non-com LPFM "could've and
should've" gone into the commercial operators' bank account.

  Warning! Strong Personal Opinion follows: I look at it as though we're
helping to build the training grounds for tomorrow's radio
professionals. I sincerely wish that others would try to see it in the
same light and not in the "doom and gloom" light that NAB and NPR had
originally cast the scenario in. (But, as soon as LPFM became a reality,
I did notice that - despite the attempts at bringing about it's early
death - NAB added a message to it's website inviting LPFM's to join up
and to pay their dues as newly "welcomed" members. NAB fought such a
nasty battle in that situation that I've determined to never allow any
of our stations to join. That was downright filthy politics and they can
do that without us. If we can't take on "perceived competition" on an
honest head-to-head basis, what's the point in trying to legislate them
out of existence? Are we - as commercial broadcasters - THAT unsure of
our product?)

Keith Hammond

KBKH-FM (Shamrock, Texas)

(806) 256-1221