[BC] LPFM on Xlators

Keith Hammond monsterfm
Sun May 8 01:03:46 CDT 2005

> Translator at Santee SC on 97.7 rebroadcasts WSHG LPFM from St George
> SC.  Nothing in rules prohikbits it.  And the license for the
> translator
> specifically states we can do it.

  And you will not find anything that specifically prohibits it but, you
will now find precedent that ALLOWS it and ACCEPTS it as perfectly "OK".

  As I recall, the LPFM/Translator issue was originally SUPPOSED to have
been stifled by the NAB and NPR (or someone) back in 1999 but, the
powers that be got so entangled in causing the service to become
practically useless by other means (making it "unprofitable" and
"non-competitive") that they forgot the issue of translator carriage
entirely!

  In the meantime, some of us sat and watched and waited and (during the
great "translator rush" of 2003) filed applications for clients who
wished to build translators and "help out" the lowly LPFM's. I
personally filed a number of them and, I'm proud to say that they ALL
were granted to local livensees (not the LPFM licensee's, mind you) who
are NOT associated with Twin Falls. (Several of the ones in northeast
Texas are my applications and they were serving the local communities
for which they were intended quite admirably with NO satellite
programming the last time I checked in on them.)

  Since the matter had been "forgotten" by the "heavies" that would've
sought to shoot it down at all costs, it became a matter of "do it and
set precedent" and that is what we have done. They applications all
specifically specify the LPFM's as primary signal originators and were
both accepted and granted as such.

  Now, although I wholeheartedly disagree with the fact that LPFM has
had it's teeth pulled and has become the latest "home of a thousand
churches" (nothing against religion, mind you), in the cases of the few
LPFM's that are actually providing local community service, I have to
feel that this is one instance of "score one for the little guy and take
a point away from NAB and those who would seek to silence smaller
signals simply to avoid new competition".

  I also know that some will disagree with me on this matter but, as the
licensee of a commercial station, I am personally planning to file for
several new LPFM's in our city of license and nearby communities. Why?
I'd like to GIVE one (equipment included) to each local school, the
local EMA, the city government, the nursing home, etc.

  If they become competition to my commercial station, so much the
better. I guess we'll just have to come up with something a bit more
innovative for programming than what they choose to program. (No, I do
not plan to file for these in my own name. I'll approach the local
agencies in advance and tell them of my intentions and several others on
the list might do well to do the same as this CAN be our means of
training the "radio people" of tomorrow.)

  OK, attack away as I've now opened myself up to an onslaught...

Keith Hammond

KBKH-FM (Shamrock, Texas)

(806) 256-1221