[BC] iBiquity was Digital Radio Express

Ernie Belanger armtx
Sat May 7 06:15:20 CDT 2005

> I wonder why iBiquity can't learn something from these guys! Just make the
> box, sell it, and butt-out.

Short answer P.T. Barnum is said  to have stated it  best but in this case
it is the Broadcast industry as a whole and not a person.

"....there is a sucker born every minute"

Long Answer:
It is simple. iBiquity is a very greedy and hungry wolf in sheep's clothing
and broadcasters have become a bunch of not to very bright sheep, at lease
when it comes to this matter.

First, iBiquity helped create the panic (like a wolf would as it sneaked
into the pack pretending to be one of the sheep)By pretending to be the
friend of broadcasters. Ibiquities  friends Glynn and Mel Karmazan (SP?)
lending creditability to the company  "idea".

(SIDE BAR: if HD was so great by the way then why did Mel Jump to Satellite
Radio. VS starting his own group he had enough $$ and for sure could get the
backing with his track record. Wake up Broadcasters)

Once Ibiquity had them (the broadcasters) convinced It is their savior and
has their answer It  leads the herd our of arena of common sense and
business smarts (like a wolf would slyly lead a heard away from the watchful
eyes of a sheep dog and shepherd)

When business smarts and common sense are but a distant memory (when the
herd is away from its protection) The wolf then pounces on as many sheep as
he can. In this case iBiquity dictates all the terms to the broadcasters.
Who are still too dumb to figure it out and say NO WAY!

The industry has bought this thing hook line and sinker. Industry leaders
really didn't think things through or look at what really was being
presented. The big guys are like the government when it comes to money.
Knowing they have to just sell some more stock to pay for the damned thing
so as long as it doesn't effect the millions they personally make each year
they don't care about the cost. IT is a capital expenditure not an
operational expense and one that they have convinced themselves is needed so
it is justified. (some day remind me to write a post about the
rationalization and justification that is our natural way of coping with
decisions we make so we can live with them)

IB(tired of typing iBiquity) figured the broadcasters would pay anything to
get protection for the big bad satellite radio and they were right.

Also IB decided early on to blind charge the stations with a set fee charged
to exciter MFGers that of course is built into the product cost and passed
to stations who now pay twice for Hradio(royalty direct to IB and $3K per
exciter back door to them per exciter) IB also figured the receiver
manufacturers would pony up per radio sold to make receivers for the
consumers who would be clamoring to get them

But IB's money chain doesn't stop there. You see what is not being nailed
down by the broadcasters upfront )in their initial contract with IB is just
how much IB is going to get into their pants for when all of the aux
services become available. That percentage should be laid out upfront so
prudent and sound business decisions can be made.  (this is right up there
near the top of the list of the most ignorant things I have ever seen in my
life)

When it comes to IB , I have not yet seen a broadcaster make a prudent or
sound decision except for those that I have personally spoken with who are
going to wait a few years to see if it all flies or  if consumers let it
die. To them the few grand extra in royalties they will pay by signing later
Vs sooner is worth paying when they may not have to spend hundreds of
thousands buying Hradio gear to put a signal on the air.

It was once was said that the devil is in the details of a contract.

In this case broadcasters are blindly signing up for this technology which
consumers could care less about and in doing so they are marrying IB
forever. In fact they are stupidly supporting this unproven (in the consumer
market) technology to become the default standard which then limits this
industry to once again become technologically frozen in time and forced to
pass up on what could be a better and less expensive technology when it
becomes available now or in the future.

Ernie Belanger

NOTE:This is my personal opinion and in no way reflects the belief or
position of my employer or the employees of the company for which I work

.