[BC] Re: XTRA SPOTTERS

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri May 6 08:14:43 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/5/05 7:49:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

So  you're the one who saddled us with those spotters! It was a Schafer 800
thumbwheel system with 4 Ampex 350's for music and 2 350's configured as
spotters (light sensing through clear sections on the tape) to locate and

Rich

I only shipped the system from Philadelphia to San Ysidro,,,,The Schafer
system had already been purchased and the McLendon systems all used spotters
because the cartridge machines of that vintage could not maintain stereo  phase.
McLendon bought two Schafer systems, one for WCAM, Camden, NJ  and one for
WIFE, Philadelphia both pending sales.  The FCC was out  to squeeze McLendon as
they claimed he was trafficing in radio stations.   (Compared to the last 8
years?)  Finally denied the transfers or  WCAM/WIFE& KYXI-AM-FM.

About the same time the decision was made to change format of XETRA to the
good music format.  I arranged for one of the automation systems to be  shipped
to San Ysidro for brokering across the border.  Glen Callison and  Bob
Daines, CE @ WNUS in Chicago went down for the install.  I recall  because both
Daines & Callison missed the NAB in Chicago that year because  they were at XETRA.

Dave