[BC] Cellphones in the air

Dave Hultsman reader
Thu May 5 15:07:36 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/4/05 9:13:06 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

YEAH...THE PLANE JUST TOOK OFF...WHAT??? LITTLE JOHNNY WANTS TO TALK TO
GRAMMA...PUT HIM ON...GRAMMA LOVES YOU...YES I DO...YES I DO!!!
OY.

 > BTW, don't you think that if cell phones featured ample sidetone volume
 > that users wouldn't be so inclined to speak loudly?
 >
 > Best,
 >
 > Kirk Harnack

************************

Most long distance flights US have airphones telephone already...If you
really need it you've got it.. If they don't charge a premium for cell
usage on the plane,  It will be mayhem on planes.  guys will be on the
phone yelling and just gabbing much to the disturbance of the passenger in
seat "B" or "E".  If they want to do this on airplanes they need to place
phone booths on the plane where you use the cell phones or the airphone
with a table for writing and proper lights like a telephone booth.  Then
you have a private conversation without unintentionally involving at least
the people either side of you.  Allow the blackberries to accept and
initiate email.  But on some airlines I can't even open up my Dell because
the seat table is too close.  OK OK even if I lost a some weight it
wouldn't work correctly.

Also business and first class passengers have plenty of room.  I usually
fly "last class"  and it is crowded.  I can't believe the number of folks
that are on the cell phone and wireless e-mail in the planes until they
start taxing out.

Dave