[BC] The essential minimum

khcs@juno.com khcs
Thu May 5 12:42:05 CDT 2005

Bill observed:

>broadcasters ... always doing more with less!  Wait.  Didn't Clear Channel actually adopt that as a slogan last year?!  LOL)

I think you got it backwards -- "Doing less with more." <g>

Back to the topic, I have built quite a few studios (studii ?) and stations with little more than a toolbox containing a couple pairs of pliers, wire cutters, several screwdrivers, a soldering iron, DVM and a few wrenches.  And my trusty "third hand," a drill-press vise for holding connectors while I solder them.  My tool collection has expanded to include 4 soldering irons and 3 soldering guns, all of different wattages, the propane torch for really big soldering jobs, numerous wrenches, an inclinometer for setting up satellite dishes, and various other items of flotsam and jetsam.  Not to mention a frequency counter, 3 oscilloscopes, a Loft audio test set, small RTA, SPL meter (I also do some sound-reinforcement stuff) and a large assortment of cables and adapters.  Connect a Type N to 1/8" mini-plug?  I could do that.

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA