[BC] Transformer conditioning

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Wed May 4 18:31:13 CDT 2005

I knew what Clive was referring to when he said it. Many stations here
in Florida who lost power for several days in the high humidity that
follows a tropical event incurred many problems getting our transmitters
back on line once the power was restored. In my case the method I used
was to crank the AC way down for some time to lower the humidity.
At one station I got in a hurry and tried to bring the transmitter back
on line after only 4 hours of dry time. While I didn't lose a
transformer, I did blow out a rectifier stack and have a capacitor arc
over across the insulator. The other failures may have saved the
transformer since they allowed for a couple days of additional drying
time before the HV was applied again.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885